Thursday, November 18, 2010

heroes.

the recent rush of posts expressing gratitude has got me thinking about what i'm thankful for. yesterday i picked up a copy of the newspaper for the first time in a long time. the main reason i hadn't read it for so long was because i've been crazy busy with school, but also it's hard for me to find any pleasure in it. with all the convoluted political garbage and the depressing results of forgetting to love our fellow man, the news hasn't really appealed to me. when i picked up the paper yesterday i was worried it was going to be more of the same. scanning through the headlines about riots, financial crises, and criminals, i began to feel that similar concern for the world at large i had felt to so many times before. down towards the bottom of the page, however, i found a little spark of good news - Medal of Honor for Bravery in Afghanistan. I turned to the page as my chemistry class settled down and read the account of a hero. maybe i'm just a sap who has seen too many war movies, but i couldn't help but feel gratitude for what Staff Sergeant Giunta had done, and i couldn't help but feel hope that there are still people out there who are willing to risk everything to help someone in need.
later i was talking to my dad about it, and he recommended that i watch an interview with Giunta that had occured a few days prior. as i watched the man talk, his humility and servility were striking. he shirked all praise, he took no credit.
i am thankful for heroes like him who are willing to risk everything yet require no recompense. it reminds me of the many people that have given so much to serve me, and the One who gave everything to save me.

No comments:

Post a Comment