Monday, October 11, 2010

i'm a headcase if i dont keep moving... and my head hurts if i don't sit still

this song has been haunting my mind like the ghosts it's meant to portray. it's catchy. i like it, but it mostly makes me recall another song by ben cooper that i adored as a teenager. there's something about wispy vocals combined with the staccato guitar and percussion that gets me. or maybe it's the lyrics:

there’s a light bulb dangling from string
it’s slowly swaying up over my head now
as i jot down the words that’ll never be sung
and wait for my headache to numb
and the wind sounds as if the world’s sighing
and the moon’s just a torn fingernail
as the tv flickers and hums by the wall
and i wait for my eyesight to fade

so, so, so
it’s so... slow
so, so, so
it’s so... slow

and the bright-eyed choke on ambition
and the old folks circle their graves
and the young ones are busy destroying their names
and you’re still just wasting away.
i sit and watch the screen for a message
some kinda sign that says we’re ok
but the screen stays blank till i turn the thing off
and wait for my conscience to break.

so, so, so
it’s so... slow
so, so, so
it’s so... slow

i hope [i'm] learning to listen
and i hope you’re learning to stay
and i hope you find what you’re missing
and i hope that you’re making you’re way
i’m a headcase if i don’t keep moving
and my head hurts if i don’t sit still
it’s an itch that i’ll never stop scratching
it’s a hole that i’ll never quite fill

so

1 comment: